Category Archives: Poisonous Plants

Eddie’s Corner: Don’t Eat the Mistletoe!

By Eddie Ayers, County Extension Agent, December 21, 2015

MistletoeMistletoe is a holiday staple, but it can also be very harmful, and not just for humans, but pets too, and, it’s incredibly damaging to trees.

Kim Coder, a professor of tree health care with the University of Georgia’s Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, says that unlike Spanish moss, which grows on tree surfaces without damaging it, mistletoe is a true parasite. Coder says the parasite works its way in, and the tree grows around it, causing structural and biological problems. Continue reading